Wednesday, February 18, 2009

hurry up and wait

I am typing with one hand right now because Stephanie is in the bathroom, which means she doesn't have the finger heart rate monitor thingy on. This causes an irritating alarm to go off. So I'm wearing it right now to make the machine happy. Pretty good, but I can't type with that hand. In addition to the finger cuff (back on her finger now, 2 hand typing is a joy!) there are also wireless monitors for the baby's heart rate and something that monitors contractions. The chart paper to the right shows typical output; above is the heart rate which is generally around 140 or so (normal). The lower trace shows contractions. Each heavy line is one minute, so you can see that in this case she had about 4-5 minutes between contractions (onset to onset). Good timing, but they aren't that strong.
We just watched 2 episodes of "the office" which are streamed to us via Netflix. Funny stuff. Weird watching TV in a hospital on a computer. All very weird.
The rain has turned to snow outside, but the ground is still to wet and warm for anything to accumulate. I haven't looked at the weather lately, not sure if we will see accumulation or not tonight.
Summary: no significant news. I think this is going to be a longish process.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck you guys, uhh, I mean Stephanie. I'm enjoying all the updates. It seems like just yesterday when Yael and I were enjoying our visit at Maternity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember thinking of my dissertation defense, or exams, when you knew at some point things would be over because the clock said so. But no, this is a PROCESS>.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just got back from the gym and gasp... nothing has changed... sigh... I so want to be an auntie...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My love to you both, and good luck to steph (both of you, but mostly steph),
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything I can bring you guys over there before I leave campus this evening?

    ReplyDelete
  6. All this sounds quite familiar---like my first prolonged labor which also culminated in c-section. my 2 cents: c-section is great---easy recovery, no worries about episiotomy, and you get extra days in the hospital, which will allow you to get lots of coaching on the breastfeeding (use every nurse and lactation consultant available, and you should be all set by the time you are discharged). good luck, and we look forward to meeting little girl palmer!

    ReplyDelete